Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Hi! Hi! Hi!

Dear Caroline,

You are starting to learn more words, but still love to stick to some of your old favorites. One of your all time favorites is "Hi" and of course its cousin "Bye bye." It's amazing the way you say it, like it's a little song and you pair it with a sweet waive almost every time.

While that's cute, there is something extra special about you right now: you say hi and bye bye to everyone and anyone. It sounds funny at first, and sometimes it really is because of the reactions you get which are almost always positive and friendly. But the more I think about it, usually in some semblance of silence after we've left a store or restaurant and I'm driving us home just us two in the car, the more I am in awe of you. You say hi to little kids you look like you, to grown ups who look like me or dad, but then it gets interesting. You say to people who are really different from our family, people who don't have homes and haven't showered in a long time, old people who probably don't get a lot of "hi's" in their lives these days, people who wear special clothes as part of their religious beliefs, people who are in a hurry and aren't paying much attention but are shocked and touched by your simple greeting.

You are amazing. You want to be friends with all kinds of people and truth be told I think after you break they ice, they want to be your friend too. I often get comments when we're out that you're the friendliest baby people have ever seen; you're really not clingy or shy like most people expect when they encounter a 15 month old. In that way and so many others, I think you're treasure. I dread the day that I have to tell you that not all people are good and well intentioned in this world and that there are maybe even some you have to be afraid of. But for now, I think I'll keep that to myself and we'll just go on making new friends.

Bye bye,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment